Friday, January 06, 2006

Tube Strike - Grow Up!!!

So they are going to strike again. RMT union members are threatening to strike this Sunday due to unresolved issues around shorter working week deal and rosters.

Right.

So that's the solution then? Let's all regress to childhood. If things don't go our way, we throw our toys out of the pram and sulk. This is not a discussion about the dispute that RMT union members are on strike about, as I don't know enough details about it to justify saying whether that's the right stance or not. What I'm bemused about is the almost reflex-like response of calling for a strike if there's a chance that things won't go the way intended. By the way, this isn't an attack on RMT only - I see it the threats on news often whether it be employees at airline baggage handlers or car manufacturing plants, in UK, Paris, China, India, etc.

Grow up, people!!!! Going on strike doesn't solve the problem! Not in my opinion, anyway. Immaturity comes to mind almost immediately. What would happen if we took this approach with everything we did? Am I glad my parents didn't adopt this approach with me when I was little. The amount of times I have been mischievous and stubborn - did they go on 'strike'? No - they acted like mature adults and loving parents that they are and made sure two (or in this case, three) didn't play this immature game.

Act your age - not your shoe size!

No comments: