Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Manager? Leader? Are they the same?

"No one is indispensable".
"A great Manager is one you can easily replace."

Harsh statements? I thought so when I first heard them, but then after some thought, realised how true they are. In the current business environment we are in, a sustainable business model is one that ensures efficiency and continuity. What would happen to the business if the only person who knows how everything operates meets tragic fate? Or uses this knowledge for 'business-ransom' purposes - more money, title, benefits, etc?

During the selection process for Development Programme, I was asked the difference was between being a good Manager and a good Leader. That stumped me as I always thought they were one and the same thing. Aren't they? Wouldn't they be the prerequisites of generally good leadership? As I continued on the Development Programme and now the Accelerated Leadership Programme, I realise more and more that there is a distinction. Even in every day work, I come across superb Managers but noticed they may not necessarily show the tendencies to be great Leaders. On the other hand, I also see people with fantastic leadership competencies yet their management skills are probably not the best either due to personalities or experience. I have had the privilege of working with some who are fantastic managers and visionary leaders, and eagerly seek more of these opportunities. As such opinions and experiences arise, I start seeing the distinction more and more....

In my humble opinion, a great manager is one who can efficiently and effectively multi-task, delegate, organise, coach, counsel, demonstrate excellent hands-on work and provide and receive constructive feedback amongst other qualities. Sound like a long list? Well, I think these are more easily achievable than being a great Leader (not saying I've achieved them all!). To me, a great leader is one who can provide great vision that is ambitious yet achievable, revolutionary yet rewarding, impossible yet makes it possible through clear communication and motivation. A great leader is not necessarily the person sitting at the top of the hierarchy. A great leader is not afraid of taking the unpopular stance for benefit of all and does not shy away from making difficult decisions. Above all, a great leader is humble, one who sees potential leaders as peers not threats and respects others for their abilities not rank or title.

So the statements above - yes, they will make you unpopular. Yes, they will make you look arrogant. But they came from people I view to be great leaders and it was then that I realised that as a leader, you cannot shy away from making statements like these if they are true even if it may make you unpopular with some people until they come round to understanding(like me!).

No comments: