Sunday, January 29, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha

Another book turned movie bestseller. Movie or book? Another debate rages....

It was my intention to finish reading Arthur Golden's epic tale of the mysterious geisha world before watching the movie. With the last few book-turned-movie bestsellers (eg LOTR, Chronicles of Narnia, The Firm), I'm ashamed to say I watched the movie which then inspired me to read the books rather than the other way around. (I found the Harry Potter sagas rather unmotivating, which didn't inspire me to read the books).

Memoirs of a Geisha the book was very engaging. I felt the emotions of Chiyo/Nitta Sayuri as she struggled with trust after Mr Tanaka's betrayal, was taught to suppress her feelings as they have to be hidden behind her white 'mask' since geishas "don't have a choice", and how she didn't have a say in her life which was dictated by Mother and bidding wars even over her mizuage. These didn't come across as well in the movie. There were sparks of brilliance in Zhang Zi Yi's, Gong Li's and Michelle Yeoh's performances as Sayuri, Hatsumomo and Mameha respectively. However, the script had been condensed far too much - understandably as the movie would have dragged on a lot more. Rather than focusing on specific key topics, I felt that the movie contained snippets of the book's highlights, jumping from one event to the next without much explanation. The scenery in the movie was breath-taking - made me want to visit Japan all the more. It was interesting to note that most of the movie was shot in California, however. I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed when I visit Japan, though.

Excluding various bits that were cut out of the book (some of which I thought were very important, like her danna), the movie stayed quite close to the book. Obviously artistic licence was used several times, though the point of it remains to be seen. For example, substitution of Nobu-san with Chairman Ken when it came to sending Sayuri away in the war, and Colonel Derricks instead of Sato Noritaka whom Iwamura Electric was trying to impress.

Whilst reading the book, I couldn't help comparing it with Mineko Iwasaki's "Geisha of Gion". I must admit that I hold Mineko Iwasaki's memoirs in higher regard. After all, she was the most successful geisha of her time and the book was her autobiography. There was a lot more explanation into the world of geisha - it wasn't simply a matter of looking pretty and acting demure. The determination she had (since approx five years old when she knew she would become the okiya's atotori), the perseverance in her profession (never once taking a day off until she was ill with some sort of kidney infection, I believe) and the business mind behind running an okiya. There was richness in the traditions that you could sense as you read the autobiography, which Memoirs of a Geisha the book and movie didn't give it the attention it deserves. Memoirs of a Geisha focused more on the fictional account of a geisha's lifelong search for love. I felt that it didn't set out to discover more behind the intentionally-hidden facade of a geisha's world.

I wanted to like the movie a lot more than I actually did - because of how much I enjoyed the book and even more because "Geisha of Gion" really intrigued me. I expected to rave about the movie a lot more. I am slightly disappointed in the movie's plotlines however I guess tradeoffs had to be made in condensing a 428-page novel into a 2hr movie. The scenic sets did make up for it though.

No comments: