Thursday, November 23, 2006

Keeping Faith

In more ways than one...

The conflict in Jodi Picoult's book is about a child (Faith White) who sees God. Periphery links about whether this was the child's way of coping with her parents' separation, if God really exists and religion. This book didn't grab me in the way the other Picoult books did. I don't know if it's because I read it right after The Pact and her writing style did not hugely vary.

Whilst the book didn't impress me from a style perspective, it addressed an interesting concept. The scepticism that continues about God. In the preface, Jodi Picoult wrote that whilst she was writing and researching, she realised that people were willing to talk about anything but not about God. I realised how true that was. I don't know how much segments of her book were based on real life, but I would not be surprised if these were events that people who want to talk about God encounter. People who see yet continue to question. Those who say 'I will believe when the time is right' and not realising that it's God who decides when the time is right, not you. Those who continually ask for scientific evidence for His existence. Those who prefer to believe in the myths and rumours against Him rather than believe in the truth. Because it's easier. Because they can continue to live life according to their own rules instead of acknowledging Him.

As I read His Word, I have always wondered whether people would stop questioning had they been witnesses when He healed the incurables and saved the doomed. Maybe they would be believers if they were witnesses to the miracles documented by Matthew, Mark, John and Luke. Maybe they would then listen. Reading Keeping Faith made me doubt this would happen. Sceptics would remain sceptics until He chooses to soften their hearts.

....so, Keeping Faith - not just the child but our beliefs too....

No comments: